Friday, 17 October 2014
Friday, 8 August 2014
Makes about 25 mini Kebabs / Mini meatballs / Mini vegetable balls
Wholemeal slice bread - 1, torn
Onion - 1 small, peeled and finely chopped
Lemon Thyme Leaves - 1 tbsp, chopped
Lean Beef Mince - 400 gms (Optional)
2 carrots - Peeled & grated
Courgette - 1 small, grated
Butternut Squash - 40 gms, peeled and grated
Mushrooms - 40 gms, finely chopped
Olive Oil - As required
Green Chillies - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt / Pepper - As per taste
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric - 1 tbsp
Coriander Cumin Powder - 1.5 tbsp
Ginger + Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Parmesan - 40 gms, grated
Egg - 1 small, beaten
Soy Sauce - 1 tsp
Tomato - Ketchup
Plain Flour - As required
You can add / subtract ingredients as per taste / choice
1) Put the grated carrots, courgette and squash into a bowl and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2) Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, except the flour and olive oil. Also add about 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
3) Mix them all well - you can also whiz all the ingredients into a food processor until finely chopped.
4) Using damp hands, shape the mixture into little balls. Put the flour onto a plate and coat the balls with the flour.
5) Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the balls and fry for about 15 minutes or until light brown. Turn them every now and then, so they color evenly.
6) Allow to cool a little and then serve it with ketchup.
Tuesday, 3 June 2014
This recipe has valuable inputs from my husband, Douglas - Thanks honey... It wouldn't be as tasty without you.
Ingredients: (For 4)
Penne Pasta - 500 gms
Butter - 50 gms
Cheddar - 250 gms, grated
Tuna in spring water - 2 large cans, drained
Onions - 2 small, chopped
Capsicum - Red, chopped
Garlic Pods - 5, finely chopped
Fresh Vine Tomatoes - 7 to 8, sliced into 2
Tomato Passata - 6 to 8 tbsp
Fresh Green Chillies - 3 to 4 sliced into half & deseeded (Optional, if you want a bit of heat)
Fresh Lemon Juice - 1 tsbp
Bread crumbs - Half a slice
Fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Boil the pasta for 2 minutes less time than the cooking time stated on the pack.
3. To make the sauce, heat some oil / butter in a large non - stick pan. Put the onions in them & brown them.
4. Add the capsicum and cook it for 2 - 3 minutes.
5. Add the chopped garlic and cook it again for 2 minutes.
6. Add the sliced chillies and cook for about a minute.
7. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook them for 3 minutes and then add the tomato passata, along with the fresh lemon juice, and cook again for about 5 minutes.
8. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in all but a handful of cheese and the fresh coriander.
9. Drain the pasta, mix with the sauce and tuna.
10. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the grated cheese and the breadcrumbs.
11. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese on the top is golden and starting to brown.
12. Serve hot with some more sprinkled cheese on top.
Chicken Thighs - 4
Brown Dried Onions - 3 tbsp
Garlic & Ginger Paste - 2 tbsp
Chilli Paste - 1/2 tbsp
Sunflower Oil - As Required
Yogurt - 3 tbsp
Red Bell Pepper - 1, diced into very small pieces
Red Chilli Powder - 1 to 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander + Cumin Powder - 1 tbsp
Paprika - 2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - Fresh, Chopped
Salt & Pepper - To Taste
1. Wash and clean the chicken thighs.
2. Mix the salt, pepper, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander & cumin powder along with the yogurt. Add the chilli paste and garlic & ginger paste. Marinate the chicken thighs for at least 2 to 3 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
4. Line the shallow baking pan with a silver foil and then brush some oil onto it.
5. Stir in the dried onions and the red pepper pieces.
6. Arrange the thighs on the pan, leaving an inch or more between pieces, to ensure that they cook well. Sprinkle the remaining marinate mix to the thighs and this reduces to a nice gravy.
7. Bake the chicken thighs for about 15 minutes, and then turn them and bake for another 15 minutes
8. The perfectly cooked chicken thighs should be well browned and crispy on the outside, and the juices should run clear.
9. Serve hot with salad or rice or roasted vegetables.
Monday, 2 June 2014
Spinach leaves - 250 grams, chopped
Sunflower Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
Onion - 1, medium size, finely chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves, very thinly sliced
Ginger - 2 tbsp, very finely chopped
Potatoes - 3 to 4, chopped
Red Chilli - 2, deseeded & finely chopped
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Tomato - 1 large, finely chopped
Prawns - 300 gms (OPTIONAL)
Salt - As required
1. Heat the oil in a large pan.
2. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and fry for about 3 mins and the onions turn brown.
3. Add in the tomato and let it cook for about 2 - 3 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, chilli, all the spices and half a tsp salt and continue cooking and stirring for 5 mins more.
4. Add a splash of water, cover, and cook for 8-10 mins
5. Once the potatoes are ready, add the spinach and the prawns. Cover it with a lid.
6. Let the spinach leaves wilt into the pan for about 5 minutes
7. Take the lid off, add some water if required and let it cook for 5 minutes more.
8. Check that the leaves are cooked, and take it off the heat and serve with rotis / rice.
Friday, 28 March 2014
Plain Flour: 2 tbsp
Chicken Portions: 2
Butter: About 40 gms
Pancetta: 75 gms, diced
Garlic Cloves: 4, crushed
Carrot: 1, diced
Celery Stick: 1, roughly chopped
Brandy / Cognac: 2 tbsp
Red Wine (Beaujolias): 400 ml
Bay Leaf: 2
Fresh Thyme: 3 - 4 sprigs
Shallots: 7 to 8
Red Wine Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Button Mushroom: 120 gms
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1. Mix the flour with the salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Coat the chicken with half of the seasoned flour.
3. In a pan, melt half the butter, add the chicken and fry gently until golden brown on all sides.
4. In a casserole, fry the pancetta, garlic,carrot and celery until they soften.
5. Add the remaining seasoned flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Pour in the brandy and the wine, stirring it to make sure that there are no lumps at the bottom.
7. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring it to boil. Cover. Simmer for about an hour.
8. While it is simmering, melt some butter with the olive oil in a frying pan.
9. Add the onions and fry them until they are brown.
10. Add in the vinegar and 1 tbsp water.
11. Add the onions and the mushrooms to the chicken and cook it for about 30 minutes. Make sure that the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are nice and tender.
12. Transfer the chicken and the vegetables to a hot serving plate.
13. Discard the bay leaf and thyme.
14. Boil the sauce for about 3 - 5 minutes or until reduced to a nice consistency.
15. Pour over the chicken and serve with mashed potatoes and / or steamed broccolli.